Supervisor of Laboratory Operations
Leidos, currently has an opening for a Supervisor of Laboratory Operations for the Crary Science and Engineering Center (CSEC).
The CSEC is a multi-purpose laboratory and office facility supporting a wide range of scientific disciplines at McMurdo Station in Antarctica. The laboratory facilities include analytical chemistry, microbiology, microscopy, molecular biology, radioisotope, seawater aquaria and general use laboratories configured to support biology, chemistry, oceanography, limnology, atmospheric physics, geology, and glaciology projects.
The Supervisor will be responsible for laboratory science support provided at McMurdo Station including: Overseeing operations and ensuring safety in CSEC and the surrounding vicinity. Ensures all staff, grantees and customers have the resources and information needed. Provides guidance to all staff in the building requiring science support. Creates the major resource (laboratory, offices, lab equipment) usage schedule for grantee and USAP seasonal requirements. This individual is also considered the ASC subject matter expert for laboratory practice and equipment.
McMurdo: Deploys to McMurdo Station for the summer season to run the laboratory facilities and supervise ASC laboratory and technical support personnel. Primary on-site POC for all CSEC activities, including ASC departments, NSF, and grantees. Reallocates lab/office space and equipment as requirements change throughout the season.
Denver: Assists in hiring contract/seasonal staff and provides direction to the winter lab assistant at McMurdo Station. Coordinates the purchase of laboratory supplies for the following season and track the shipment of all purchases for the laboratory. Assists in budget planning and long range investment planning. Allocates all laboratory resources (including laboratories/offices, equipment) for the following season.
• Creates a safety culture as outlined in the Chemical Hygiene SOP and the NSF Code of Conduct for all personnel in the CSEC.
• Provides input to Annual Program Plan for material budgets, sub-contracts and personnel resource scheduling. Monitors the laboratory budget and procurements. Makes recommendations for all laboratory/equipment purchases based on funded science and investment plan.
• Manages all office, aquarium and laboratory space in the CSEC.
• Assists in hiring all seasonal staff; provides primary tasking to laboratory staff while deployed to McMurdo
• Provides instructions for care, usage, maintenance, purchase and disposal of CSEC owned materials, instruments, equipment & engineered facility safety systems.
• Provides educational tours to Distinguished Visitors from NSF, US Military, US Government Officials, Corporate Officials; and International Antarctic Program visitors
• Coordinates Permits for Sample shipments through New Zealand; maintains communication system for hand-carry samples moving through New Zealand
• Coordinates staging space within CSEC and around McMurdo for grantees
• Coordinates the facility accessibility (clearing snow, water drainage, vehicle fumes, etc.)
• Fosters and cultivates relationships with all supporting departments within ASC, NSF, and grantees.
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in natural or physical sciences.
• 4+ years of laboratory or observatory technical work
• Laboratory management experience
• Comfortable with public speaking
• Must successfully complete the physical, dental and psychological (if applicable) examinations as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica.
• Willingness and ability to deploy to Antarctica for extended periods is required.
• US citizenship or US Permanent Residency is required.
• Good verbal communication skills, computer literacy, and problem solving skills required.
• Remote field work experience preferred
• Previous polar experience preferred
• Experience in a research environment providing direct support to science projects preferred
• Purchasing/budget tracking experience preferred
• Previous supervisory experience preferred
• Experience with coordinating Facility Maintenance & facility access control systems preferred
• Experience with Inventory Control Systems; preferably MAXIMO preferred
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.