Associate Substation Engineer
Associate Substation Engineer – Framingham, MA
We are seeking an Associate Substation Engineer who will work as a member of a dynamic team within our Energy & Systems Solutions organization; specifically our Power Delivery division: an established group of electric utility engineering consultants that solve challenging substation engineering problems for our utility clients Nation-wide. The Associate Substation Engineer will work under the direct supervision of a licensed professional engineer and is expected to develop skills in the field of substation engineering and the ability to work with greater independence.
Responsibilities in this role the qualified individual will be:
• Both assisting and designing (depending on scope and scale of project): Substation Physical Electrical, Protection and Control design schematics, SCADA Systems, including Station Communications and Station Automation design
• Part of team that prepares project deliverables (primarily engineered drawings), as well as thorough and accurate technical reports, including correspondence, miscellaneous project documentation, calculations and sketches.
• Conducting engineering and related studies.
• Maintain accurate records and files.
• Supports the Leidos’ goals and represents the company positively and professionally.
• B.S. or M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university
• Basic understanding of the utility grid (power generation, transmission and distribution) system
• Keen focus and attention to detail design and an appreciation for high quality project deliverables.
• Understanding of basic engineering theories and principles
• Understanding of basic practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations
• Ability to meet deadlines under high pressure situations
• Team player who can work effectively in team environment with an ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• High level of computer and internet competency
• Proficiency with using Windows-based software programs
• Major emphasis in Power Systems Design and Engineering
• Received a passing grade on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam
• Prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering
• Active membership in national engineering societies (IEEE, PES, etc.)
• As part of his/her technical development, and based on specific project requirements, the qualified individual will be required to complete extended field assignment during his/her early years in this position. Frequent travel to and from job sites may be required.
Leidos is a trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to Leidos for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.