Leidos has an opening for a Data Architect to oversee database operations and design improvements for a portfolio of on-line applications for a large Department of Homeland Security (DHS) program. The Data Architect will translate business needs into enhanced solution capabilities and performance for a complex web services-based architecture hosting disparate types of data through all phases of design, implementation, and support. Responsibilities include:
• Collaborate with customers and translate their business needs into data strategy and data architecture solutions and designs.
• Develop innovative database solutions that increase scalability and performance and minimize downtime; perform modeling to assess and enhance database capacity and performance.
• Recommend improvements to existing database designs to structure the data for more efficient data management and access.
• Create and maintain a central repository of all data architecture artifacts including data dictionaries, database administration procedures, scripts, and security controls.
• Develop data warehousing blueprints, evaluate new tools and technologies, and integrate application database models.
• Design, implement, and test database security and archive/recovery procedures; conduct regular performance and integrity tests; and produce detailed test reports.
• Analyze event data and access data to assess compliance, improve productivity, and detect access violations.
• Lead troubleshooting, root cause analysis, problem analysis, and resolution.
• May provide guidance and direct the work of database administrators.
• Manage and report on performance indicators and metrics and meet or exceed all assigned contractual SLAs and KPIs;
• Oversee execution of projects in accordance with budget, schedule, and quality;
• Maintain currency on technology, processes, and tools and provide inputs for white papers and proposals; and
• Provide accurate, concise reporting to management and customer.
* NOTE: This position can be based out of Gaithersburg, MD or Alexandria, VA
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field;
• Requires BS degree and 12 – 15 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 10 – 13 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
• Minimum of five years of experience as a data architect;
• Demonstrated experience with developing logical and physical data models; taxonomies and/or controlled vocabularies; XML and data/information exchange models, standards, or tools;
• Solid experience with at least one enterprise RDBMS, e.g., Oracle, DB2, or SQL Server;
• Experience with geospatial databases and web-based geospatial technology;
• Experience in evaluating data architectures, recommending change, and communicating recommendations to senior management and customers;
• Experience presenting briefings to senior customer management, customer stakeholders, and company management; and
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
• Experience with Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) programs;
• Experience working in an Agile development and deployment environment;
• Experience migrating data to cloud computing platform;
• Experience with enterprise search engines such as Elasticsearch and Solr;
• Experience in open source and NOSQL database technologies;
• Demonstrated performance leading IT services delivery and achieving service level agreements.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.