Principal Capture Manager
The Defense & Intelligence Group of Leidos is seeking a Principal Capture Manager to develop, lead, and manage strategic capture efforts ($100M+) for Department of Defense command and control, intelligence analysis, information technology and operational support opportunities. This position is located at the Leidos facility in Reston, VA, but alternate locations can be considered.
The Capture Manager will be responsible for leading multiple simultaneous opportunity capture efforts, while also working as a team member supporting other business development life cycle requirements. Performance evaluations will be based on success in:
•Developing and synthesizing information on customer requirements, Leidos capabilities, the competitive landscape, pricing environment into mature and executable capture approaches that address customer needs and provide Leidos a competitive advantage during opportunity competitions.
• Managing the progress of assigned opportunities through the Leidos Win Plan process, so that all assigned opportunities are properly coordinated and approved, and that the capture fully benefits from Win Plan collaboration.
• Developing, coordinating and facilitating capture-related Leidos Win Plan activities.
• Delivering winning captures that measurably contribute to the Operation’s and Group’s revenue and operating income goals.
• Effectively performing as an individual contributor and team member on other assigned business development efforts.
The Capture Manager will develop the overall capture strategy for an opportunity as well as internal and external partnerships, business plans and associated marketing assigned with the opportunity. The Capture Manager will be able to refine win strategies through innovative technical solution development, effective teaming, staffing and pricing strategies. The Capture Manager advances opportunities through the capture lifecycle to increase the probability of win and to provide the foundation for winning proposals.
The Capture Manager works with business development personnel and line managers to leverage customer and industry relationships and personal experience in assessing potential business opportunities, qualify them as meaningful opportunities, and capture them for profitable revenue growth. The Capture Manager will also be expected to identify capability gaps, emerging requirements, perform market and economic analysis, conduct business intelligence, design and execute formal capture plans, and develop solutions in accordance with requirements while creating a profitable execution business plan.
The Capture Manager will provide a key role and fully participate in the subsequent proposal activity for an opportunity. Proposal-related activities may include the development of the Bid and Proposal (B&P) budget, book boss management, section writing, executive summary development, color reviews, and bid/no-bid participation.
This Capture Manager must thrive in an environment where they are responsible for the management and execution of the full Leidos Win Plan business development life cycle process across multiple simultaneous pursuits and proposals. The Capture Manager leads a capture team to advance opportunities through the pipeline and develop winning proposals. Tasks associated with this role may include teaming analysis and scope definition, competitive assessments, development of marketing materials, capture planning, writing of white papers and request for information responses, win theme workshops and proposal development.
The ideal candidate will have worked in the defense contracting industry as a line manager responsible for business development, have existing relationships with Integrated Mission Support Operation-relevant Defense military Service stakeholders and a history of developing and maintaining relationships with key Government customers. The ideal candidate will have previously served as a lead on successful major capture and proposal development efforts. Characteristics necessary for success include: the ability to gain internal support and the ability to establish and maintain a solid working relationship with technical staff, managers, and peers. The position requires proficiency in Federal contracting and demonstrated knowledge of Federal request for proposal language. The position requires excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Lead capture efforts to secure new or re-compete contracts.
• Develop capture strategy, competitive assessments, teaming, and price-to-win efforts.
• Develop solutions-based capture plans that will result in winning new business that can be executed at a reasonable profit.
• Lead and participate in business development planning and review activities, to include periodic pipeline reviews, developing and managing capture budgets, planning resources and schedules for capture and proposal plans, opportunity reviews, black hat sessions, win theme and discriminator workshops, and proposal reviews.
• Lead and integrate assigned cross-functional team and authority to direct team activities for the duration of the pursuit.
• Conduct after action reviews for business opportunity capture participants to document lessons learned and identify necessary adjustments to capture technique, strategy, and actions.
• Coordinate and participate in meetings with customers, competitors, clients, and teammates to develop win strategy for specific opportunities.
• Meet with customers, competitors, clients, and teammates to develop market insight on requirements, acquisition strategy, acquisition timing, and contract vehicle choices.
• Serve as the lead for call plan development and execution and provide detailed reports for follow-up activities.
• Create and deliver executive presentations intended for gate/capture approvals.
• Maintain ongoing interaction with business development and program area.
• Perform market research to include customer preferences, competitive analysis and incumbent strengths and weaknesses.
• Write RFI responses and white papers.
• Proposal writing and leadership of management and technical volumes to include project management plans, basis of effort development, technical volumes, past performance and staffing plans.
• Interacts routinely with all levels of Division, Operation and Group management, functional staff (e.g. Contracts, Subcontracts) POCs, staff, and customers, and follows through on taskings.
• Collaborate with business development personnel, technical staff, and management to support cross enterprise objectives and customer engagement
• Brief capture status to senior management at specified milestones in the capture process and when material changes occur.
• Embrace accountability for shaping and winning new business through a balanced focus on customer value, the competitive environment, and the corporation's best interests.
- Bachelor's degree with 15+ years of business development or capture management experience.
- Proven track record of successful capture and proposal development on opportunities in US military Service command and control, intelligence analysis, information technology and/or operational support opportunities with a value of over $100M for single-award contracts and over $500M for multiple award IDIQ contracts, during the last three years.
- Detailed knowledge of the Federal contracting process and demonstrated working knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR).
- Ability to use automated tools such as Microsoft Office to present ideas, information, and reports.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Currently possess an active Secret clearance with ability to obtain TS/SCI clearance.
- Experience working in several DoD customer domains with specific experience, customer and Industry relationships and demonstrated capture success in one or more of the following markets: CBRNE & WMD; Infrastructure Protection, Training Simulation and Exercises; C4ISR Programs; Intelligence, Analysis and Operations; Energetics, Demilitarization and Materials Sciences; Mission IT and applications (Network Engineering and Management, Cloud Computing, Cyber
Security, Application Rationalization, Modernization and Development) ; Biometrics.
- A deep understanding of federal government buying habits, to include: US government budget, investments and acquisition processes.
- An understanding of different contract types to include: IDIQ, BPA, CRADA, OTA, as well as CLIN structures that include FPIF, CPIF, FPAF, CPAF, FFP, FPLOE, T&M, CPFF, CR and other types.
- An understanding of contractor financials in the government market, to include: calculating Independent Government Cost Estimates, Price to Win, and/or, parametric cost analyses.
- Experience calculating and managing multiple types of corporate discretionary investment funds within the ability to calculate rates of return.
- Experience developing and successfully managing capture and proposal budgets.
- A deep understanding of teaming approaches to include: subcontracting / creating teaming agreements, vendor relationships, service level agreements, and contractor teaming arrangements.
- Experience in program execution as a line manager responsible for multiple programs and 3+ years of successful program/project management experience.
- Experience managing a large pipeline of business development opportunities.
- Current TS/SCI security clearance.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.