Storage Administrator (NCI)
The mission of the Data Science and Information Technology Program (DSITP) is to develop an enterprise-level, consolidated information technology infrastructure that provides exceptional IT capabilities to the Frederick National Labs for Cancer Research (NCI-Frederick/FNLCR) in support of basic, translational, and clinical cancer and AIDS research. The IT Operations Group (ITOG) is a part of the Data Science and Information Technology Program (DSITP) within Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. ITOG is responsible for computational servers, storage servers, virtual machine infrastructure, and the FNLCR network. ITOG focuses on implementing enterprise IT best practices in the areas of computational services, storage, backup, and archiving; batch and application support; server consolidation and virtualization; network infrastructure; unification of voice, teleconferencing, and video communication technologies; and improved infrastructure for collocation of dedicated servers.
This position description does not represent a current opening but may be used to identify candidates with skills and experience for positions within Leidos Biomedical Research that frequently become available. Candidates who express an interest may be considered for future positions at Leidos Biomedical Research
The Storage Administrator II will:
- Perform storage management and administration functions, including configuration, maintenance, and monitoring of storage-related hardware and software,
- Ensure the availability, reliability, integrity and security of itog-operated storage-related platforms
- Evaluate user needs or problems, and take appropriate action to resolve
- Consult with users in the use of systems and storage platforms
- Identify and resolve problems across multiple platforms, storage, and networks
- Contribute to decisions on administrative policies, procedures, product evaluations, and capacity planning
- Develop schedules and perform regular data protection operations (e.g., backups, snapshots, replication, etc.)
- Participate in the integration of hardware and software within a heterogeneous environment
- Develop and monitor data security measures in coordination with the site security office
- Engage vendor-supplied support when needed under established MSAs.
The IT Operations Group, part of the Data Science and Information Technology Program, is responsible for information technology infrastructure, including high performance computing, enterprise storage and advanced telecommunications at Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research. ITOG is responsible for the management and operation of a variety of computer systems, involving an architectural range that encompasses the single-user personal computer through to the multi-user, multi-core, large memory computer server utilizing NAS, SAN, DASD, and iSCSI storage.
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education).
- Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- In addition to the education requirements, a minimum of two (2) years of job related experience
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in large (500 TB or greater) NAS and/or SAN storage system administration
- Knowledge of TCP/IP networks, including routing, subnets, VLANs, and host-based firewalls
- Ability to troubleshoot problems involving systems, networking, and networked storage
- Experience with centralized storage solutions involving RAID configuration, NFS and CIFS/SMB protocols, and other pertinent technologies
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Experience with systems administration of modern Linux and/or Windows OS distributions, preferably in a scientific environment
- Experience with hardware diagnostics and repair work, test and replacement of power supplies, hard drives, network adapters, and other components
- Experience with various scripting languages (e.g., Bourne and/or C shell and derivatives, PowerShell, Perl, Python, etc.)
- Experience with standard UNIX/Linux command-line utilities (vi, grep, sed, awk, etc.)
- Knowledge of authentication configuration (Active Directory, LDAP, PAM, etc.)
- Experience with Object Storage
- Experience with Big Data provisioning and/or analysis
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.