Sr Technical Writer/Editor
The Veterans Health Operation is seeking a Senior Technical Writer/Editor, contingent upon contract award. This position is expected to be remote with travel to the DC Metro area.
SECURITY REQUIREMENTS: Candidate must meet national agency check and inquiry investigation plus credit check (NACIC) or Tier 1 / Low Risk background investigation requirements. Requires US citizenship or US person (green card holder).
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: The services to be provided by Leidos are related to the VA Enterprise Service Bus (VA ESB).
The Leidos Health Solutions Business Unit currently has an immediate opening for a Senior Technical Writer / Editor, in support of a Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Task Order.
Perform duties under the auspices and communication governance of the Leidos Project Manager.
• Perform advanced technical writing work, including composing, organizing, editing and proofreading for compliance with all VA documentation standards, proper spelling, grammar and syntax; staying updated on the technical areas of the project; may involve extensive revision or some reworking of text. (i.e., choosing better or more appropriate words, tightening text).
• Supervise the writing staff for composing, writing and editing of all project documentation.
• Participate in daily Agile scrum meetings, to provide status updates on tasks and performance standards of the writing staff.
• Train and assist the writing staff to learn and develop their skills to a higher level regarding the tools and techniques used for technical documentation tasks.
• Study project drawings, specifications, sketches, diagrams, and material as needed to assist the writing staff to achieve their technical writing deliverables.
• Review final technical writing artifacts before delivery to customer to validate quality of mature draft artifacts.
• Provide support for other technical writing services to include scheduling conference lines, setting up web-based meetings, arranging physical meeting locations, preparing agenda/meeting materials, taking minutes, distributing post-meeting documentation/artifacts and timely posting of materials to applicable websites and/or repositories, such as SharePoint.
• Set up processes to maintain and update existing technical writing artifacts to improve the accuracy, currency, and readability of documentation using configuration control procedures with shared document repositories.
• Perform research necessary to discover the technical writing deliverables required for a given assignment and assign the appropriate resource to the tasks.
• Assist in (e.g., VIP) meeting deadlines and deliverables for documentation artifacts
• Facilitate communications between Leidos and VA ESB project personnel to support the project deliverables and artifacts.
• Attend project meetings to interact with project members, get updates on project status and offer assistance to the project as needed.
• Set up mass communications, meetings or alerts as needed for the project groups.
• Participate in email communications to and among project members on project related topics.
• Work closely with Leidos and VA project leads to understand and facilitate their project needs for documentation and communication assistance.
• Develop and communicate to the Leidos and VA project managers a project communications plan.
• Study and research project technical areas; staying updated on new technological advancements inherent on the project.
• Participate in the composition of Technical Evaluation Plans (i.e., bid proposals)
• Touch base daily with each member of the VBA ESB Team for a status update on their tasks and performance standards and criteria to ensure that the performance and productivity of the groups is kept to a high standard.
• Manage all reporting to the Leidos Project Manager.
• Perform other tasks assigned by the Leidos Project Manager.
• Edited documents and proposal sections in accordance with scheduled deliverables.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and 8 years of professional experience, of which at least three must be in a technical domain area related to software development or systems integration.
• At least three years of experience writing and editing technical and proposal documents.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in the English language.
• Ability to write clear, concise, compelling documents.
• Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
• Due to strict deadlines and fast paced environment, must be able to work with minimal direction, and work well in team environment.
• Must be willing to self-start and manage multiple deadlines.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, including expert level use of Microsoft Word
• Experience with VA processes, to include the VIP process
• Experience or strong familiarity with automation within VA healthcare programs and supporting systems.
• Experience with VA, DoD, or other Federal contracting environments.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.