Network Engineer SME (Greenbelt, MD)
The Network Engineer SME will work with the Network Engineering team to evaluate business level requirements and design solutions to support the overall Census Decennial 2020 Census program; provide detailed bills of material for solutions, develop and maintain logical and physical engineering diagrams to support the implementation and operational support of the network. Additionally, the SME will interact with other teams as needed to collect requirements and participate in integrating systems onto the network as needed. Provide expertise in testing, troubleshooting and resolving issues related to the network and ensuring that the network architecture will support the 2020 Decennial Survey
- Perform local, remote and inter-networking design, implementation and documentation
- Utilize and integrate network components such as bridges, routers, firewalls and load balancers
- Monitor the performance of the network platform and making technical recommendations on improvements if necessary
- Coordinate and take lead of assigned projects in all technical and communication aspects
- Provide technical networking support to customers and peers
- Support the implementation and ongoing support for complex networking solutions
- Work collaboratively across a variety of technical teams to implement new technology
- Manage problems, maintain vendor relationships, and assist operation with vendor escalation and issue resolution
- Facilitate device refresh of network security devices with a focus on capacity, manageability, and security of new and existing security infrastructure.
- Design, deploy, and support enterprise class devices
- Troubleshoot issues including network protocol and log analysis, raw data captures, and the correlation of disparate events spanning multiple devices and platforms
- Enterprise network architecture, design, and support including network hardware, network protocols, and data flows 39-1
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Typically requires BS degree and 12 – 15 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 10 – 13 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
· 14+ years of experience with enterprise class Cisco routers and switches
· Advanced troubleshooting skills, including the ability to capture and analyst packet level data, and must be an expert with network systems management and monitoring tools such as the latest version of Prime and SolarWinds as well as tools providing ancillary networking services such as DHCP, DNS and NTP.
· Knowledge of switching, routing, wireless access and security.
· Advanced understanding of TCP/IP including layer 2/3 VLANs and routing protocols such as BGP, EIGRP and OSPF
· Knowledge of WAN Optimization solutions
· Experience with VPN’s and other remote access applications
· Ability to gather requirements and develop solutions for upgrades and new systems to meet the needs of the users.
· Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network configuration, network mapping, including monthly reports.
· Experience with network hardware including: CISCO ISR and ASR routers; Nexus switches, Catalyst switches, CISCO ASA firewalls and wireless controller.
· Experience with designing and deploying infrastructure at large scale.
· Experience with large scale site migrations (Infrastructure, applications and systems)
· Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel, elected officials, executive leadership, senior management, users, vendors and subcontractor personnel
· Ability to consistently meet and exceed expectations and incorporate customer service into all aspects of work
· Proven judgment and problem solving skills
· Solid time management skills with the ability to plan, organize and implement multiple initiatives and deadline-driven workloads while consistently providing outstanding customer service
· Detail-oriented, proactive self-starter demonstrating a positive, willing attitude and excellent oral and written communication skills
· Organizational Skills: Can plan and prioritize work, both their own and that of project team. Follows tasks to their logical conclusion and makes sure that everything has been done to the right standard. Good attention to detail
· Team Work: Comfortable working both individually and as part of a team. Prepared to challenge ideas within a group in a constructive way. Ability to influence others and move a proposal effort toward a common vision or goal
· Leadership: Business acumen and understanding of organizational issues and challenges. Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization
· Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and efficiently to team members and clients, verbally and in writing. Able to present ideas in a variety of ways depending upon audience and context.
· Problem Solving: Natural inclination for planning strategy and tactics. Ability to analyze problems and determine root cause, generating alternatives, evaluating and selecting alternatives and implementing solutions
· Results oriented: Able to drive things forward regardless of personal interest in the task
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.