Leidos is hiring a Communications Engineer to join our team in McLean, VA! The Communications Engineer will be a key part of the Leidos team, responsible for managing wired and wireless communication to support the connected vehicle research at the FHWA Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center in McLean, VA. The Communications Engineer will be part of a larger research team that advances connected and automated vehicle technologies for FHWA via developing, testing, and demonstrating new capabilities associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication. Responsibilities for the Communications Engineer may include supporting wired and wireless communication in point-to-point, switched, and cellular networks. Responsibilities may also include performing engineering duties in the analysis of the performance of wireless, RF and communications/cellular or satellite networks. Demonstrated experience in defining requirements from multi-perspective, user operational needs and translating those requirements into a multi-level detailed and multi-perspective representation (also known as “architecture”) of an operating information, communications, and control system. The work requires a working knowledge of vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communications and networking, including related hardware and software configurations, Linux and Windows command line as well as applicable IEEE and SAE standards and systems engineering. The work environment is very collegial and benefits from a collaborative effort with multiple team members. In addition to the laboratory and office environment, some field work, testing and validation of systems is often required.
Other responsibilities include:
• Performing engineering duties to support wired and wireless communication and associated technologies.
• Plan, implement, upgrade, or monitor security measures for the protection of networks and information.
• Be a good team player and be able to give and take constructive feedback.
• Bachelors degree in engineering or other science discipline (Master’s degree preferred).
• 3+ years full-time professional experience in communications or systems engineering related fields. Connected vehicle research and development experience is a plus.
• Knowledge of vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communications and networking.
• Experience in a designing, deploying, and managing wired and wireless communications, particularly Dedicated Short Range Communications (DSRC), cellular, or Wi-Fi.
• Ethernet Network engineering.
• Experience with Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) applications, transportation systems, performing channel loading analysis, test planning and execution, IEEE and other related standards, and engineering and evaluation.
• Project Management skills to ensure the products and services are delivered on-time and within budget.
• Communicate clearly in English, both orally and in writing (authorship and publication of technical papers and presentations is a plus).
• Must be prompt, schedule-conscious, and able to focus on the work at hand.
• Must be coachable and open to self-discovery and professional improvement.
• Must be quality-conscious and carry a sense of pride in their work.
• Self-motivated, initiative, and ownership, making sure outstanding issues are completely addressed for the team’s success.
• Experience with and/or participation in connected vehicle or transportation communication standards and organizations (e.g., SAE J2735, NTCIP 1202, etc.) preferred
• Knowledge and experience in traffic signal controller operations, configuration, communications, and Transportation Management Center operations preferred
• Knowledge and experience with software development tools and methods, including one or more commonly used programming languages, such as C++, JAVA, or MATLAB preferred
• Geospatial positioning (e.g., GPS) and position correction (e.g., RTCM) preferred
• Aerial photo accuracy, correction, mapping, and conversion to electronic data preferred
• Knowledge of SharePoint and PowerBI development preferred
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.