Leidos is hiring a Communications Specialist in McLean, VA! The Communications Specialist will be a key part of the Leidos team supporting the communications and outreach needs associated with the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA) cutting-edge research at Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center in McLean, VA. The Communications Specialist will be part of a larger research team that develops new connected and automated vehicle technologies for FHWA.
This role will develop the overall communications strategy and implementation plan to inform, educate, engage, and develop support from stakeholders in the transportation industry. This includes identification of the most effective communication method, efficiently outlining a plan (with budget and schedule, obtaining approval from FHWA personnel, implementing the strategy with quantitative or qualitative results, and completing projects on time and within budget. The successful candidate has practical experience leading communications and outreach, working with USDOT, and knowledge of the transportation industry, particularly connected and automated vehicles, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), and emerging technologies.
Other responsibilities include:
• Plan, organize, direct, coordinate, evaluate, and provide outreach for stakeholder engagement activities.
• Oversee the development and implementation of outreach.
• Coordinate development of events to publicize Office of Operations Research & Development (R&D) activities.
• Coordinate logistics and communication in support of events, including social media, public announcements (coordinated through FHWA Public Affairs), fact sheets, presentations, and associated media and materials.
• Build and maintain trust with key FHWA stakeholders to facilitate communication on R&D priorities.
• Engage new stakeholders, build strong relationships, and mediate competing interests towards common goals.
• Facilitate and moderate meetings and workshops in a variety of formats including in-person and web-based.
• Draft content for articles in technical and general media publications, newsletters, and knowledge and technology transfer platforms.
• Create summaries and briefings of technical and/or research reports for technical and lay audiences.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or a related discipline with 5+ years full-time professional experience in outreach and communication.
• Fluent with Microsoft Office tools/programs, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
• Familiar with web conferencing tools and platforms.
• Excellent verbal, written, and public speaking communication skills in English.
• The ability to learn substance of research quickly and the intellectual curiosity and dedication to master vast and complex subjects.
• Strong ability to transform complicated subject matter and diverse source material into coherent, engaging, and accurate communications for a variety of audiences.
• Demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness – the willingness to work outside strict job description parameters, thinking creatively about how to provide the highest level of service.
• Strong project management skills – the ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines within the budgetary constraints and the ability to coordinate multiple engagements simultaneously, prioritizing demands on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
• The ability to work independently and with small teams.
• A strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit.
• The ability to thrive in highly flexible, rapidly changing, ambiguous work environment.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills, maturity, and tact, especially in partnering and collaborating with senior leaders (both Leidos and Government staff) to plan and align internal communications activities with strategic objectives and business priorities.
• Skilled at cultivating and managing relationships.
• Strong leadership abilities and management skills. Ability to set specific and measurable objectives, continually improve performance and measure impact preferred.
• Skilled at managing budgets, team performance, and outside vendor deliverables preferred.
• Experience building networks, anticipating industry trends, identifying organizations with complimentary operations, and developing partnerships preferred.
• Proven and measureable track record in business development preferred.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.