Robotics Navigation Engineer
Support projects related to autonomous vehicle guidance, navigation, and control (GN&C) for Leidos’ Advanced Solution Group. Position is a mix of analytical and hands-on tasks including GN&C algorithm development/simulation, real-time software development, and hardware/software integration. Our team primarily supports research and development as well as advanced prototyping for customers including DARPA, NASA, Air Force Research Laboratory, and Office of Naval Research. Projects involve small teams of engineers (typically 3-5 engineers) working together in spiral or agile development environments to meet aggressive customer schedules aimed at near-term field demonstrations of advanced capabilities. We are also in the process of transitioning several of these technologies to fielded military systems currently operating in deployed areas.
We are looking for candidates who are excited to work across all ends of the autonomous vehicle design process, from concept development and initial simulation through final integration and successful testing. Successful candidate must be capable of being cleared to Secret level within 3 months of being hired.
Develop and integrate navigation fusion algorithms, including Extended Kalman Filters, Unscented Kalman Filters, Factor Graphs, and Particle Filters
Support integration of computer vision algorithms into navigation software, with an emphasis on using measurements derived from optical cameras and LiDAR systems
Develop and utilize simulation testbeds to support algorithm testing and assessment
Support system field testing on a variety of platforms, including aircraft, ground vehicles, and naval ships. Test events typically last for 3 -5 days.
(Note: Strong expertise in particular areas can compensate for lack of experience in others, as long as the candidate is willing to take on new tasks and learn new skills as assigned)
*EXTERNAL REFERRAL ELIGIBLE*
Bachelors Degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent with 2+ years of relevant experience
* Experienced programming in MATLAB, C/C++, and Python
* Experience with the Linux operating environment
* Experience with development of sensor fusion algorithms such as Kalman Filtering
* Experience with machine learning algorithms including convolutional neural networks
* Experience working with various sensor types (Inertial Measurement Units, GPS, cameras, LiDAR, etc.)
* Experience using version control tools (GIT, Subversion, etc).
Master’s or PhD Degree in major listed under Basic Qualifications
* Experience with / basic understanding of nonlinear filtering techniques (Particle Filters, Factor Graphs, etc.)
* Experience with ROS and the OpenCV computer vision library
* Experience with high-fidelity error model development for sensors
* Experience with Simulink and Model-Based Design techniques
* Experience with autonomous system development through robotics competitions
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.