Storage and Virtualization Systems Engineer
The Storage and Virtualization Systems Engineer will perform a variety of assignments associated with Storage, Computer Hardware (virtual and physical), virtualization software (VMware’s vSphere, vCloud and View) and VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure on a set of enterprise-level IT systems in support of Leidos’ production data center environment.
- Responsible for capturing, analyzing and decomposing system requirements in order to generate and document design solutions that will be implemented, tested and eventually transitioned to the operational environment.
- Work with leads in other sub-systems, customers, and process owners to insure solution integration.
- Produce and maintain documentation of the server sub-systems in the data center environment, including as-built documentation, capacity / performance plans, as well as all other areas of server system life-cycle planning.
- Explore new technologies related to the backup discipline, and making recommendations for their introduction into the data center environment.
- Troubleshoot and manage problem resolution including root cause analysis.
- Adhere to company policies and processes including change control, security, corporate policies, and Sarbanes Oxley 404.
- Function as the technical lead for all design-to-cost and life-cycle activities for small-to medium-scale projects.
- Establishe and recommend changes to policies which affect subordinate organization(s).
- Provide guidance to others to achieve goals in accordance with established policies.
- Bachelor's degree in related technical discipline and 8+ years of relevant experience in Systems Administration, Storage Administration, or Information Technology. Additional relevant experience and certifications will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Extensive experience with Storage Area Networking, EMC Family VMAX, VNX and CLARiiON in a similar size environment.
- Vmware enterprise level experience. Examples of enterprise experience may include: VMware HA or VMware Site Recovery Manager.
- Experience planning and leading VMware migrations.
- Experience designing the hardware layer for physical and virtual environments (servers and desktops) and engineering the virtual software layer (VMware’s vShpere, vCloud and View).
- Solid knowledge and experience working with IT systems and is expected to already have in-depth specialized knowledge of specific IT systems engineering processes and practices.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- A possession of excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively at all levels of staff and management
- Strong SAN experience as well as Virtualization experience.
- Strong knowledge of the following SAN/ Storage systems: EMC Family VMAX, VNX, ISilon and CLARiiON; Cisco MDS 9000 Series; Storage EMC (clarion, vnx, vmax) experience; HP 3PAR
- Strong knowledge of the following VMware technologies: VMware VSphere Enterprise 6.x, VMware Horizon 7.x, VMware Operation 5.8 and above
- Strong knowledge of the following Compute technologies: Cisco UCS Blades 2.x, Cisco UCS Manager 2.1 or above, HP Blades / HP C7000 series, HP Virtual Connect, RecoverPoint, Cisco Nexus, MS Windows 2012 R2/2016, Red Hat Linux 6/7 (RHEL7 experience in a controlled SELinux environment a plus)
- Formal system engineering process/educational experience also desired, such as inCOSE and COBIT models
- Physical/Software defined networking knowledge/experience would be beneficial, as would experience with private cloud computing technologies such as VMware vRealize Automation 7.x, VMware NSX, VMware vSAN for hyper-converged platforms.
- Ability to estimate level of effort and budgets
- Ability to exercise independent judgment, develop relationships, and obtain consensus among interested parties
- Ability to develop peer networks across an enterprise to maintain technology awareness and to support resolution of problems.
- Ability to lead architectural design discussions, and carry those designs through deployment and into operations.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.