Bioinformatics Analyst (NCI)
The Advanced Biomedical Computing Center (ABCC) is a part of the Data Science and Information Technology Program at Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The ABCC provides technology development, scientific consultation, collaboration and training, and high-performance computing support to the NCI and NIH scientists and staff. The Single Cell Analysis Facility (SCAF) is established to utilize a mix of existing and new resources aimed at providing state-of-the-art single-cell technologies to support the cancer research at NCI.
- Responsible for providing bioinformatics support including project consultation, experimental design, data management and analysis of high throughput sequencing data from next-generation sequencing and single cell technologies
- Perform single-cell genetic and transcriptional analysis to determine tumor heterogeneity, clonal evolution, immune signatures, and mechanism of resistance
- Design, develop and maintain robust analysis workflows and software pipelines, as well as custom scripts, to support the analysis of high-throughput sequencing data
- Provide biological interpretation of analysis results and present analysis results in a clear and concise manner, to scientific audiences
- Work effectively as a member of a team; coordinate activities among groups located at the Bethesda, Frederick, and Rockville NCI campuses; follow sound scientific practices and maintain effective documentation of activities and analyses
- This position is in support of the Center for Cancer Research (CCR).
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree in biomedical science/bioinformatics/math/computer related field from an accredited college or university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education)
- Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- In addition to education requirements, a minimum of five (5) years related experience in a biological research laboratory environment with a strong background in bioinformatics application development
- The candidate must possess experience in genomic and sequence analysis such as RNA-seq, Exome-seq, Chip-seq and metagenomics analysis, construction of data processing pipelines, and quality control/quality assurance analysis
- Hands-on experience in next generation sequencing analysis, including data quality assessment, sequencing data assembling, mapping, mutation and structural variation analysis, gene/transcript profiling and splicing analysis
- Hands-on experience with commercial and open-source bioinformatics and NGS data analysis tools is required
- Highly collaborative, self-motivated and team oriented
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Masters or PhD degree preferred
- Experience in NGS sequencing technology and molecular biology
- Experience in single-cell genomic and transcriptomic sequencing technologies and data analyses
- Experience in multi-omic data integration and complex data visualization
- Knowledge of cancer biology
- Familiarity with publicly available data sources such as ENCODE, Ensembl, NCBI, TCGA, cBioPortal, Broad FireHose
- Experience using cloud computing and/or high-performance computing systems for NGS analysis
- Commitment to solving biological problems and communicating these solutions. Proven success in independent efforts and delivering high quality data with biological relevance to customers.
- Proficiency in Unix/Linux scripting
- Proficiency in programming languages such as PERL, Python, R, Java
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong project management and organizational skills
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.