z/OS Mainframe Systems Performance Administrator
The health products and solutions group currently has an opening for a Mainframe Systems Performance Administrator for 24/7 data center support.
Requirements and Responsibilities:
· Possesses extensive hands-on experience as a z/OS Performance Specialist;
· Provides all Performance Management activities for all z/OS systems in large data center environment as a member of the Mainframe Services Team;
· Performs ongoing monitoring and analysis and makes recommendations for performance improvements and efficiencies;
· Possesses deep understanding of Performance Management best practices for z/OS systems and applications;
· Reviews and fine tunes performance objectives relative to z/OS systems and family of products;
· Provides analysis and reporting for z/OS operating systems performance and resource utilization including: CPU, memory usage, system paging and overhead, zIIP and CF utilization, and storage. Also analyzes and reports summary utilization for batch jobs, started tasks, and DB2 Distributed workloads;
· Possess ability to design and/or refine and implement an end-to-end Performance Management Process which improves on existing practices to better predict impacts to performance and capacity as applications are added and/or changes occur and update systems through an Enterprise pipeline process working with the Capacity Management Lead;
· Creates and analyzes ongoing performance reporting (scheduled and ad-hoc) and analyzes usefulness or changes needed to best achieve performance objectives. Works with team to make necessary recommended adjustments in performance are done in a timely manner and partners with the Capacity team to ensure trends are communicated and inputted to the Enterprise Capacity pipeline;
· Monitors and validates the integrity of reporting data prior to final publishing of reports;
· Reviews performance reports with team and management on a regular schedule before distributing;
· Evaluates performance and usage trends by application and system and partners with the Capacity Planner(s) to ensure alignment and that processes feed each other;
· Makes recommendations of performance and tuning actions for systems and applications resulting in peak performance and optimization of resources;
· Collects application performance projections and changes for applications including performance expectations to determine future performance and capacity needs;
· Provides assistance as needed to customers, Project Managers, operations, and other systems support and/or technical teams as needed;
· Extensive experience in performance management architecture, implementation and management for a mission critical large systems mainframe environment using the IBM z/OS architecture including z/OS, SYSVIEW, WLM (Workload Manager), RMF III, RMF Reporter, SMF Processing, Microsoft Excel & PowerPoint, z/OS Performance Tuning and Capacity Planning;
· Must have senior level skills with storage performance analysis, tuning and reporting;
· Thorough working knowledge of and stays up-to-date on latest performance management tools, technologies, and best practices related to a wide range of z/OS technologies including a solid grasp of trends and directions of emerging technologies with the ability to interpret their impacts on existing and future systems;
· Extensive experience with required tools not limited to but including: z/OS RMF/SMF, IBM SubCapacity Tool, CA/MICS, SAS, MXG, BMC Mainview for DB2, Compuware Strobe, Omegamon, Omegamon for CICS, and MS Excel;
· Demonstrated expertise in the use of the performance management tools for the z/OS (WAS, DB2 and MQ) environments as well as the z Architecture (DASD, LPAR, channels, tapes, IPL process, etc.);
· Schedules and analyzes z/OS Strobe reports for batch jobs as needed by systems or user requests. Tests Strobe releases;
· Installs and tests data repository MXG software to support z/OS SMF;
· Identifies high utilization workloads and DB2 threads and their impact on system resources;
· Reviews and modifies the system Workload Manager (WLM) Policy service class goals and adjust as needed. Revises WLM Policy report classes to identify selected workloads. Modifies WLM application environments for DB2 Stored Procedures. Monitors WLM performance index and delays with RMF;
· Knowledge of Performance Management for large z/VM environment mainframe environments running LInux and JVMs would be a bonus, but not required;
· Works independently to achieve day-to-day objectives with significant impact on operational results and performance deliverables; and,
· This position support a 24/7 data center and on-call or off shift support will be required at times.
Evaluates technical solutions that require collaboration with internal experts, deep analyses and understanding of impact on end-product/solution;
Evaluates solutions to technical problems and issues that are unclear and require deep technical knowledge to determine potential performance impacts;
external referral eligible
BS degree and 12 – 15 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 10 – 13 years of prior relevant experience.
Requires excellent communications skills, both oral and written to communicate with internal and client project team members and management and an ability to summarize and easily communicate complex concepts tailored to level of complexity appropriate for the audience;
Works to design performance solutions and influence team members regarding solution design, process and/or approaches. May communicate with parties external to the organization (e.g., sub-contractors, vendors, etc.); and,
All candidates supporting the CMS programs must have lived in the United States at least three (3) out of the last five (5) years prior in order to be considered.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.