Senior Computational Scientist 607877 (NCI) Job
Date: Nov 14, 2014
Location: Frederick Md, MD, US
The Clinical Research Directorate (CRD) is responsible for providing high level research in support to the NCI-Cancer Diagnostics Program (CDP) within the Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis (DCTD). The Molecular Characterization Laboratory (MoCha) is designated for development of clinical assays suitable for medical research and diagnostic applications for DCTD sponsored national, extramural, clinical trials.
The Computational Scientist serves as the technical authority on computational issues related to the assigned projects/programs. The basic functions for this position include development of genomic analysis pipeline for exome and RNAseq generated from Mocha lab or collaborator to provide biological interpretation to advance the understanding of dysfunctional molecular biology in cancer, management of large amounts of biological data to provides access to this data for research community, and supervision activity of bioinformatic team members to ensures the quality of work meet the standard and priority of the projects to meet deadlines. This position interacts with management, to define strategies for genomic data analysis including hypothesis generation and testing of treatment predictive biomarkers. The position also interacts extensively with intramural laboratories at the NIH and extramural scientists.The Computational Scientist is responsible for planning, coordinating, and executing computational aspects of genomic analysis and pre-clinical and treatment programs. The position is also responsible for generating scientific opinions, identifying potential resources or constraints, and proposing strategies for exploiting available databases and program data generated at the molecular and cellular levels.
: BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Possession of a PhD degree (postdoctoral experience is preferred) in biomedical science/bioinformatics/math/statistics/computer-related field from an accredited college or university.
- Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency.
- In addition to education requirements, a minimum of five (5) years related computational experience in a biological/medical research laboratory environment with a strong background in bioinformatics application development.
- The candidate must possess experience in next generation sequence analysis (NGS) (including quality metrics, mapping, variant calling and biological interpretation), microarray analysis and experience with analysis of large genomic data sets including integration with data available from public or private sources.
- Hands-on experience in data processing and analyzing sequencing and expression and other array data including quality and biological assessment are also essential.
- Proficiency in Unix (Linux), scripting and programming languages such as R, C/C++, PERL, JAVA, SQL and bioinformatics tools and database management is essential.
- Must be proficient in several genomic data analysis tools such as GATK, Samtool, Bowtie, AnnoVar, ..eta, as well as biological pathway/functional analysis.
- Expertise in statistical and algorithm development for analyzing complex biological data is critical to success.
- Experience and demonstrated success in a team-oriented environment and excellent communication skills (written and oral) are also required.
- Ability to identify and solve complex problems.
- Proven knowledge of the biology of caner demonstrated through peer reviewed publications is a plus.
- This position is subject to obtaining a Public Trust Clearance.
- Experience in algorithm development in NGS data analysis.
- In-depth understanding in molecular biology techniques, oncology and clinical research.
- Experience in data integration, database construction, application development and visualization.
- Experience in porting applications to web environment and working with workflow tools and applications also desired.
- Managerial experience is a highly desired skill.
Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Leidos, operates the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research, sponsored by the National Cancer Institute. Our focus is on basic and applied science in cancer and AIDS. We maintain an integrated suite of advanced technologies backed by scientific expertise in areas such as genetics, genomics, protein science, proteomics, bioinformatics, high-performance biomedical computing, and nanotechnology. We develop new technologies to support cutting-edge science, and we develop and manufacture clinical-grade pharmaceuticals for first-in-human trials.
Leidos Overview:Leidos is an applied solutions company focused on markets that are seeing converging business and technological trends, and address basic, enduring human needs: defense and national security, health and life sciences, and energy, engineering and infrastructure. The Company's approximately 20,000 employees serve customers in the U.S. Department of Defense, the intelligence community, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, other U.S. Government civil agencies and commercial health and engineering markets.
Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
Job Posting: Aug 19, 2014, 11:54:47 AM
Primary Location: USA-MD-FREDERICK MD
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Teleworking: No
Shift: Day Job
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Genetics, Biotech, Scientific, Materials Science, Nanotechnology, Science, Engineering