Linguist/Translator-Arabic & Kurdish Job
Date: Mar 6, 2014
Location Reston, VA, US
Kurdish-Arabic Linguist 1- Responsibilities: Performs full range of activities in processing materials or participating in situations requiring a general professional capability as follows: Translation:
- Can accurately translate reports/texts in electronic and hardcopy formats that not only contain facts but also some abstract language showing an ability to capture intended implications and many nuances.
- Can generally capture geopolitical, regional, ethnic, and cultural elements in text. Word choice and expression generally adhere to target language (TL) norms and means of expression specific to subject field (s) and are strong enough to allow translator to operate successively in that field. Interpretation:
- Able to interpret accurately. Normally consecutive interpretation is needed, but on rare occasions simultaneous interpretation may be requested
- Has good understanding of one or more regional dialects. Transcription:
- Reviews audio or internet materials, transcribes with high degree of accuracy and expression.
- Must possess excellent English-language written communication skills for preparing reports.
- Has good understanding of one or more regional dialects. Gisting/Summarizing:
- Is able to identify and accurately summarize factual points as well as abstract concepts.
- Can triage documentation to isolate pertinent and nuanced info.
- Master use of reference materials.
- Must possess computer skills; including MS Office, to be able to produce written translations and products and sufficient internet skills that will allow basic research on the Web.
- Must possess excellent English-language verbal communication skills for giving briefings. 2- Security Clearance Requirements: TS/SCI with full scope lifestyle polygraph is required. Linguist cannot begin work on contract without a fully adjudicated security clearance. 3- Education Requirements: BA/BS and/or equivalent formal military training or 5+ years of related work experience. 4- Language Testing Requirements: All candidates will be required to take and pass a Kurdish-Arabic language test administered by SAIC/ an accepted commercial testing vendors. 5- Desired Skills:
- Experience deployed as a linguist supporting contingency operations,
- Knowledge of U.S. Intelligence Community, military, cryptologic, law enforcement experience
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in Target and English,
- Linguists who are proficient in multiple languages are strongly desired. 6- Guidelines on Residence/Travel:
- Travel OCONUS is a REQUIREMENT under this program unless otherwise specified. Candidate must be able to support the contract 24/7 when on travel.
- Position is located in the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area (WMA).
: Leidos Overview:Leidos is an applied solutions company focused on markets that are seeing converging business and technological trends, and address basic, enduring human needs: defense and national security, health and life sciences, and energy, engineering and infrastructure. The Company's approximately 20,000 employees serve customers in the U.S. Department of Defense, the intelligence community, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, other U.S. Government civil agencies and commercial health and engineering markets.
Job Posting: Feb 7, 2013, 11:09:19 AM
Primary Location: United States-VA-RESTON
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: Top Secret/SCI with Polygraph
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Top Secret/SCI with Polygraph
Potential for Teleworking: No
Travel: Yes, 25% of the time
Shift: Day Job
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Engineer, Military Intelligence, Security Clearance, Top Secret Clearance, TS / SCI, Engineering, Government