Leidos is seeking a System and Database Administration Lead, to support a customer in Rockville, MD. As a contract holder on the Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s Global Infrastructure Development Acquisition (GLINDA), we are pursuing upcoming opportunities with the Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) including Security Operations, End User Computing, Network/Data Center/Cloud Services, and Mobility Services. Below is one of the exciting opportunities we are offering on this program.
In its delivery of System and Database Administration related services, the System and Database Administration Lead shall orient its support with the NRC’s future implementation of a ‘DevOps’ continuous delivery model. Consistent with a DevOps and Agile orientation, the System and Database Administration Lead shall maintain:
• The current database environment with respect to all security patches as released by the operating system and database software vendors in compliance with all FISMA and NRC processes and procedures
• Predictable planning processes for server and database version upgrades
• Consistent, predictable, and easily understood deployment and administration processes with transparency into stage and status
• Proactive mechanisms for collaboration and communication with all operations functions, system owners and teams, and related stakeholders
• Mechanisms to proactively and continuously identify ways to increase availability and administration efficiency
• Efficient mechanisms for ensuring system and database-level security and system availability/recovery
To accomplish the identified objectives, the System and Database Administration Lead shall perform services in the following support areas:
• System Administration Services
• Systems Security Support
• Database Support
• Backup and Recovery Service
• Related Transition Activities
The System and Database Administration Lead should possess experience:
• Managing a team, or multiple teams, of highly skilled individuals responsible for providing day-to-day operational support in the area of Server Operations, Database Management, Storage and Backup
• Balancing and adjusting workloads to ensure software products are deployed and/or patched and upgraded in a successful manner, considering and addressing all FISMA, NIST and DoD security guidance, rules and regulations, standards and industry best practices
• Managing teams providing support for Windows Servers (Windows Server 2008 and 20012), Redhat Linux Servers, VMware, and other virtualization software as well as database administration (Microsoft SQL 2008 and SQL 2012)
• Working collaboratively with clients including application/business owners and their support contractors to maintain and update systems as required
• Maintaining security patches and reducing or eliminating security vulnerabilities
• Working with application/business owners and their support contractors to balance and schedule workload, identify performance bottlenecks and identify system interdependencies to prevent the formation of performance problems
• Server virtualization, networks (high speed local area as well as wide area), Microsoft Windows Server Operating systems, Microsoft SQL Databases, Redhat Linux and other variants of Unix, Oracle/Sun JAVA, storage environments, data backup and retention best practices, VMware and other virtualization products, firewalls and security products, particularly scanning and remediation software and techniques
• Understanding and meeting Service Level Agreements (established between OCIO and each Agency office) and Service Level Requirements (to meet the service level expectation of the NRC)
• Review all current systems and database administration processes and practices and provide recommendations on straightforward opportunities for improvement
• Identify and discuss any gaps or opportunities associated with system security and system backup and recovery with NRC leadershipQualifications:
TYPICAL EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Bachelor's degree and ten years' experience; additional years of experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
Experience should include:
- 3+ years’ experience with systems administration in a Linux and UNIX (Solaris 10+) environment including shell script development and debugging.
- 2 + years’ experience with systems administration on Windows 2003 and/or 2008 server.
- 2 + years technical experience/knowledge of installation, configuration, and security of server environment.
A high level of experience and skill in their respective areas of focus
Strong project management skills; experience in organizing, planning, and executing large-scale projects from the envisioning stage through to implementation, involving internal personnel, contractors, and vendors; ability to analyze project needs and determine resources needed to meet objectives in a fast paced, high pressure and relatively complex technical environment. Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with all management levels. High standards of respect for individuals, excellence, and service to the customer
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.