Senior Mechanical Engineer
The Maritime Systems Division (MSD) of Leidos’ Advanced Solutions Group (ASG) develops and deploys advanced technology solutions that address existing and emerging maritime missions of national importance for a broad range of customers across the Department of Defense, Intelligence Community, other governmental agencies and commercial clients. MSD is currently seeking a qualified, experienced engineer to fill the position of Senior Mechanical Engineer, to lead and coordinate the design, prototyping and support production of advanced ocean sensor systems and payload subsystems, and integration of those systems with manned and unmanned maritime platforms. Current and future projects span advanced concept and prototype development, low-rate initial pro:duction and full-rate production. Position will require regular travel to and coordination with engineering activities at other Leidos facilities, in multiple locations across the United States. Position requires US Citizenship and the ability to obtain a DoD security clearance.
- Support the Program Managers and the customer with research and development, design, and initial production and testing of ocean hardware systems.
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to identify, perform and document system trades related to system design, performance and manufacturing.
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to elicit and document system requirements, and to identify, perform and document system trades related to system design, performance and manufacturing
- Develops and leads technology development and demonstration plans to mature system from concept design, through prototype development and demonstration, and into production. Leads the identification of program technical risks and the development of risk mitigation and technology maturation plans to address those risks. Leads and/or supports sea test planning and/or execution
- Identifies, tracks and manages system requirements and requirements traceability
- Lead the identification of program technical risks and the development of risk mitigation and technology maturation plans to address those risks. Implements system engineering processes within the program consistent with company and ISO-9001 standards
- Develops and/or augments system documentation, specifications and drawings, as needed, to support design activities and program deliverable requirements appropriate to development stage.
- Manage and mentor talented team of ocean and mechanical engineers.
- Requirements development, design generation, and design production for a variety of Navy customers with applications including use of submarine telecommunications cables, underwater hardware, installation and recovery of subsea assets, and more.
- Definition and direction of system trade studies.
- Requirements and design reviews (SRR, PDR, CDR) for any modifications to system Baseline.
- Thermal analysis and modelling
- Stress analysis and pressure vessel design
- Documenting external and subsystem interfaces.
- Risk management and risk reduction activities including analyses and trade-offs to reduce performance and delivery risks; enhance manufacturability, and/or control costs.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Ocean Engineering and 8-12 years’ relevant experience or Masters with 6-10 years relevant experience.
• Finite element analysis of mechanical designs, software optional.
• Extensive experience with SolidWorks software.
• Working ability to operate MathCAD, Matlab, and other analysis tools.
• Engineering lead on an undersea hardware system development and production program.
• Experience leading a strong cohesive team and establishing collaborative working relationships with government customers, technical staff, senior managers and peers.
• Contribute to the successful capture of competitive Navy, DARPA and other procurements.
• Grow existing customer relationships and programs through responsiveness to customer needs, sustained excellence in program execution, and active engagement in the modeling technology community.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, along with excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, along with excellent written and oral communication skills
• Must be a US Citizen and have the the ability to obtain a DoD security clearance.
• Master’s or PhD degree in Mechanical or Ocean Engineering.
• Experience with deployment and recovery of ocean systems or other maritime assets.
• Existing security clearance is highly desirable
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.