System Administrator (NCI)
The mission of Enterprise Information Technology (EIT) is to develop an enterprise-level, consolidated information technology infrastructure that provides exceptional IT capabilities to the Frederick National Labs for Cancer Research (NCI-Frederick/FNLCR) in support of basic, translational, and clinical cancer and AIDS research. The IT Operations Group (ITOG) is a part of Enterprise Information Technology (EIT) within Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. ITOG is responsible for computational servers, storage servers, virtual machine infrastructure, and the FNLCR network. ITOG focuses on implementing enterprise IT best practices in the areas of computational services, storage, backup, and archiving; batch and application support; server consolidation and virtualization; network infrastructure; unification of voice, teleconferencing, and video communication technologies; and improved infrastructure for collocation of dedicated servers.
This position description does not represent a current opening but may be used to identify candidates with skills and experience for positions within Leidos Biomedical Research that frequently become available. Candidates who express an interest may be considered for future positions at Leidos Biomedical Research.
The System Administrator II will:
The Information Technology Operations Group, part of Enterprise Information Technology, is responsible for information technology infrastructure, including high performance computing, enterprise storage and advanced telecommunications at the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research. This position will provide technical support and solutions to the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research centered on Linux and Windows based technologies in a VMware environment.
The following tasks will need to be performed:
- Provide system management and administration functions, including requirements analysis, systems configuration and performance monitoring
- Responsible for ensuring the availability, reliability and security of Linux and Windows operating systems in a VMware environment as well as physical environment
- Install and maintains hardware, software, and applications
- Evaluate user needs or problems and takes appropriate action to resolve them
- Implement proof of concept models for new technologies prior to release in to the production environment
- Monitor system performance and makes adjustments to the system software or hardware when required
- Participate in the integration of hardware and software which will include interfacing with hardware and software vendors for support
- Adhere to configuration management principles across development, stage, and production environments
- Migrate and upgrade Linux and Windows systems nearing end of support
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education)
- Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- In addition to the educational requirements, a minimum of two (2) years of experience is required
- 2 years of experience with Microsoft Office products
- Technical experience building and maintaining VMware, vSphere, and vCenter environments working with ESX/ESXi
- Technical experience implementing and supporting standalone and/or virtual Windows servers
- Technical experience with RedHat/CentOS or other Linux distributions
- Scripting experience with PowerShell, python, and/or perl
- Experience in installing and maintaining hardware, software, and applications
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Understanding of IT systems best practices such as ITIL and the implementation of these practices, including the documentation and testing of systems
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Experience with hyperconverged technologies
- Medium level understanding of TCP/IP based networking
- MySQL, mariadb, MS SQL, or Oracle experience
- Medium level understanding of system and application security.
- Security certifications are a plus
- Build new VMs using vSphere client
- Deploy new VMs from templates using vSphere
- Monitor system performance and make adjustments to hardware and/or software to mitigate problems
- Create, review, and update Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and Service Level Agreements (SLA)
- Update patches of operating systems including Windows, Linux, ESXi
- Migrate and upgrade Linxu and Windows systems nearing end of life
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.