Research Associate (NCI)
The Cancer Research Technology Program (CRTP) develops and implements emerging technology, cancer biology expertise and research capabilities to accomplish NCI research objectives. The CRTP is an outward-facing, multi-disciplinary hub purposed to enable the external cancer research community. A major focus of the CRTP is the NCI RAS Initiative with the goal to discover new therapeutic interventions against RAS-driven cancers. In addition, the CRTP hosts the Nanotechnology Characterization Laboratory (NCL) which performs and standardizes preclinical efficacy and toxicity testing of nanoparticles intended for cancer therapeutics and diagnostics, and the Antibody Characterization Lab (ACL) which characterizes monoclonal antibodies or other renewable affinity binding reagents for use in cancer related research.
This position description does not represent a current opening but will be used to identify candidates with skills and experience for positions within Leidos Biomedical Research that frequently become available. Candidates who express an interest will be considered for future positions at Leidos Biomedical Research.
The Protein Expression Laboratory (PEL) is seeking Research Associate candidates at all levels to provide support to the National Cancer Institute by producing high quality protein reagents for a variety of research and development purposes. The PEL creates expression constructs, expresses the encoded recombinant proteins in multiple expression systems, and purifies the recombinant proteins for use in downstream applications.
- Carry out experiments, under the review of a scientist, in the areas of prokaryotic and eukaryotic protein production
- Carry out E. coli expression work
- Carry out insect cell and mammalian cell culture
- Perform microscale protein purification scouting
- Perform large-scale purification using FPLC technology
- Carry out QC on proteins to ensure high quality reagent production
- Provide timely updates of project progress to supervisor and other staff in both informal and formal reports
- Maintain detailed records of all laboratory processes and procedures for quality assurance purposes
- Bachelor’s degree in from an accredited college/university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in a field related to biomedical research (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education).
- Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Below are the typical skills we are looking for in candidates:
- Previous experience in protein expression or purification
- Mastery of aseptic technique for prokaryotic and eukaryotic cell culture
- Ability to handle multiple scientific projects with a high degree of accuracy
Below are the desired skills we are looking for in candidates:
- Experience with insect cell technologies
- Experience in microscale protein purification
- Experience with FPLC-based protein purification
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.