Scientist, Single Cell Analysis Facility (NCI)
The Cancer Research Technology Program (CRTP) develops and implements emerging technology, cancer biology expertise and research capabilities to accomplish NCI research objectives. The CRTP is an outward-facing, multi-disciplinary hub purposed to enable the external cancer research community and provides dedicated support to NCI’s intramural Center for Cancer Research (CCR). The dedicated units provide electron microscopy, protein characterization, protein expression, optical microscopy and nextGen sequencing. These research efforts are an integral part of CCR at the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research (FNLCR). CRTP scientists also work collaboratively with intramural NCI investigators to provide research technologies and expertise.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientist I to join the newly established Single Cell Analysis Facility (SCAF) of the Center for Cancer Research (CCR) at NCI. The SCAF will house state of the art single cell sequencing technologies including 10xGenomics Chromium, BD Genomics Rhapsody, DEPPArray, and other emerging single cell technologies.
- Will interact with close to 200 laboratories within the CCR to design and carry out single cell experiments for cancer research
- Will work on single cell isolation/preparation from various tissues and cells and related NexGen sequencing library preparation
- Is expected to author publications in peer reviewed scientific journals
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of Doctoral degree from an accredited college or university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) appropriate to biomedical research (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education). Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- No work experience beyond the doctorate is required for appointment at this level
- Able to prepare detailed, concise technical reports, including assisting with publications
- Laboratory skills
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- One (1) or more years of postdoctoral research and training.
- Strong background in cell biology, molecular biology, cancer biology and knowledge/experience in NexGen sequencing. Expert in single cell preparation methods from various tissues and cells
- Familiar with downstream single cell sequencing application
- Experience with one or more single cell isolation technology platforms such as deparray, Fluidigm C1, dropseq, 10xgenomics and other emerging platforms
- Experience working in a core facility
- Experience or knowledge with NextGen sequencing and single cell sequencing
- Must have strong cell biology background
- Must be detail-oriented and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to work dynamically in a diverse team environment
- Capable of learning new technologies quickly
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.