Acoustic Simulation Engineer
Leidos has an immediate opening for an Acoustic Modeling and Tactical Oceanography Lead, supporting multiple US Navy programs located in Bethesda, MD. Leidos’ High Fidelity Simulation Business Area is responsible for architecting and implementing large-scale System of Systems solutions in support of world class simulation, training, and analysis products for the US Navy. We are looking for an energetic, motivated, independent, self-starting US Navy veteran for a position supporting a dynamic organization that develops and produces state of the art acoustic ASW Tactical Decision Aids (TDAs) and training systems for the US Navy. Career advancement possibilities are limited only by your desire. If you have the ambition, we have the position. This position requires US Citizenship and the ability to obtain a DOD Secret security clearance prior to starting. An active clearance is preferred.
Candidate will be the lead and Subject Matter Expert (SME) for TDA acoustic ASW performance prediction modeling and the breadth of tactical oceanography.
· Lead a software development team guiding new acoustic modeling improvements, sensor performance prediction and advances in tactical oceanography as employed by the US Navy.
· Serve as a core member of the NAVSEA Sensor Optimization Working Group (SOWG) which oversees implementation of new modeling and tactical oceanography, and provides recommendations to NAVSEA for future improvements.
· Work closely with members of the Navy’s technical community (including the SOWG, the Office of Naval Intelligence, the Naval Oceanographic Office, the Naval Meteorological and Oceanography Command, Naval Research and other university laboratories) regarding acoustic modeling and environmental and tactical database changes and improvements.
· SME and technical lead for the STAPLE Toolkit line of acoustic analysis TDAs.
· Most of the effort is expected to focus on TDA-related modeling, but includes interfacing with acoustic trainer developers for complimentary simulation and stimulation improvements.
Travel may be required for approximately 5% - 10% of the job.
Leidos is the prime contractor supporting the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock, for training and tactical decision aids systems used throughout the US Navy supporting submarines, surface ships, surveillance SONAR systems as well as a number of Command and Control (C2) ASW systems.
"External Referral Eligible"
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· Bachelor of Science degree is required, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics, acoustics, oceanography, operations analysis, or related technical areas. A Master of Science Degree in any of these technical areas is desired. Additional technical education, as well as continuing education in any of the above fields is desired.
· US citizenship and the ability to obtain a DoD interim Secret clearance prior to starting.
Required Experience and Skills:
· Must have direct experience with US Navy SONAR systems and modern, related TDAs and tactical oceanography, including at least 8 years of Navy-related experience.
· Must be familiar with active and passive SONAR signal processing and the principles of acoustic sensor performance predictions.
- Must be interested in making a difference in improving current and future ocean acoustic modelling and ASW Tactical Decision Aids for not only the Submarine Force, but the rest of the Navy's ASW Forces.
- Must be comfortable working directly with software developers and conducting software testing.
- Must demonstrate a commitment to excellence, a dedication to producing quality work results, and an ability to learn and apply new skills. Must be committed to customer service, well organized, able to plan and prioritize assignments, and able to effectively handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision and work well under deadlines.
- Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, be courteous and professional when interacting with colleagues and customers, demonstrate a solid ability to identify and solve problems, and be able to work successfully in a team environment.
· Must demonstrate proven experience with project management and must be proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project).
- Must be eligible to obtain a DoD Secret level clearance prior to starting and will be subject to a government security investigation. Active security clearance preferred.
- Served on an SSN and operational experience as an Officer of the Deck or SONAR Leading Chief during special operations is highly desired.
- Served in or as the Operations or Weapons Department Head on a submarine or surface ship with the AN/SQQ-89A(V)15 SONAR system.
- Served as or supervised the person conducting tactical oceanographic analysis or taught Tactical Oceanography.
- Experience with Linux and programming languages (e.g., C, C++, Java).
- Eligible to obtain a DOD Top Secret level clearance is desirable.
Leidos is a FORTUNE 500® scientific, engineering, and technology applications company that uses its deep domain knowledge to solve problems of vital importance to the nation and the world, in national security, engineering, and health. For more information visit www.leidos.com.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.