Software Engineering Manager
The Defense and Intelligence Group at Leidos currently has an opening for a Software Engineering Manger to provide technical expertise and functional management to a large cross-functional team within an Intelligence Community agency. Work will be performed in Herndon, VA.
Successful candidate will provide software development and functional management support within a Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) software development environment. The candidate should have a background working within an Agile execution construct, and prior management or lead role experience. Past experiences as a scrum master, product owner, and/or release train engineer will be significantly beneficial in this role. Ideal candidate has hands on software development experience and knowledge base with java based applications and a solid understanding of application integration with Free and Open Source (FOSS, and Commercial off the Shelf (COTS) products, specifically Oracle IdAM product suite.
Roles and Responsibilities:
There are two primary areas of responsibilities, Functional Management and Release Train Engineer (RTE).
Management responsibilities may include:
- Providing leadership and direction to development team members, including development managers
- Staffing current program openings for the team
- Onboarding new program team members, ensuring they are brought up to speed on the scope of the program
- Executing the performance assessment, salary, and recognition/disciplinary actions for the team members under purview
- Collaborating with subcontractor team members’ leadership for staffing needs
- Updating corporate tools related to personnel staffing and functional needs
- Planning and allocating resources across program task orders for financial reporting
- Participating in proposal efforts including Basis of Estimate (BOE) and technical volume writing
- Managing personnel on the agile software development teams
- Overseeing training across the agile team members
- Performing timecard review and approval actions
Technical execution responsibilities as Release Train Engineer (RTE) may include:
- Managing sprint cycle within agile tool
- Tracking content status across program’s agile teams
- Facilitating collaboration across development and operations teams within program via Scrum of Scrums meeting and other less formal forums
- Briefing customer on development progress throughout program increment cycle
- Leading metrics collection and dissemination
- Facilitating sprint and program increment demos for internal and external audiences
- Creating content for program’s website as new releases are deployed to operations
- Facilitating Release Planning Events (RPEs), including logistics and technical preparation
- Managing schedule execution and overall release plan for the program
- Providing technical execution oversight to the test team throughout each program increment starting with identifying test plans through Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) and Independent Verification & Validation (IV&V)
- Providing leadership and coordination to shepherd baseline releases from development code cutoff to operational deployment completion.
- Supporting customer test milestones
To be considered for this position, you must initially meet the knowledge, skills and abilities listed below:
- Minimum 3 years personnel management experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Leadership and staffing experience
- SAFe Agile development experience
- Functioning as a scrum master and/or release train engineer
- Understanding and background in COTS integration and custom code development
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Requires a BA/BS or equivalent experience and 8+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6+ years of prior relevant experience. Generally has 4+ years of experience supervising or leading teams or projects.
External Referral Eligible
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.