Technical Documentation Specialist/FrameMaker
The Advanced Solutions Group (ASG) at Leidos currently has an opening for a FrameMaker / Technial Documentation Specialist to work at our Columbia, Maryland location. This is an exciting opportunity to use your experience supporting an important, fast-paced, mission critical program.
The Structured FrameMaker Specialist applies knowledge of Structured FrameMaker to generate and maintain Technical Orders (user and maintenance documents), and interface with software engineers, systems engineers, information assurance engineers, test engineers, configuration management personnel, and other project team members, to ensure high quality deliveries to the end customer.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
Use Adobe Structured FrameMaker authoring tool to develop and maintain new Technical Orders (TO), including following all Air Force Instructions and MIL-STDs to create the initial set of TOs and to maintain and update TOs once they are published. Generate and respond to AFTO 22s and support the entire change life cycle through publication. Evaluate and make recommendations on the adequacy of equipment configurations, parts, sparing, and support concepts to the Leidos PMO team, Technical Order Review Board (TORB), and other associated government personnel. Review existing system technical documentation to determine if changes are necessary, and to ensure suitability for translation to TO format. Review engineering drawings to determine TO impacts. Participate in Certification and Verification events to provide information assurance, configuration and change management, and source maintenance reliability.
Occasional travel to Camden, NJ, Colorado Springs, CO, and other CONUS locations may be necessary.
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
• Bachelor's Degree, or at least 4 years of experience as a technical writer
• At least 4 years of experience in engineering or other technical field
• Must have at least 2 years of in-depth experience using the structured FrameMaker (v. 12 or later) software to develop Technical Orders
o Experience with “unstructured” FrameMaker will not count towards this requirement
• Experience with writing or using DoD Operational or Maintenance Technical Orders
• Experience building iPDF files from FrameMaker files
• Knowledge of SGML to include DTDs, how to build structured FrameMaker EDDs in order to adhere to military standards
• Must be able to plan and prioritize personal tasking and be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
• Must be an independent thinker, capable of performing high quality work, both independently and with a team, in a fast-moving environment
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
• Experience with authoring, editing, and/or implementing Technical Order documentation for the military
• Subject matter expertise with Technical Orders, Military Standards for Technical Orders, government Technical Order C ertification and Verification processes
• Experience working in an Agile software development environment
• Engineering, Technical Writing, or similar degree, and relevant certifications.
• Attention to Detail:
o Personal responsibility – seeing a job through to completion
o Communication – alerting management and peers to roadblocks when encountered
o Conflict resolution – resolving team issues and maintaining professional demeanor
o Experience with Air Force systems, terminology, etc.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.