z/VM Mainframe Systems Programmer / Performance Subject Matter Expert
The health products and solutions group currently has an opening for an experienced senior level mainframe z/VM Performance Subject Matter Expert (SME).
Requirements and Responsibilities:
· Serves as z/VM Performance Subject Matter Expert for all z/VM environment as part of the Mainframe Services Group;
· In-depth knowledge of z/VM Operating Systems, z Architecture (DASD, LPAR, channels, tapes, IPL process etc.), and of z/VM systems (SYSTEM CONFIG, z/VM user directory, virtual machine definitions like special/dedicated devices, minidisks etc.);
· Possesses deep understanding of Performance Management best practices for z/VM systems running Linux guests and SSI;
· Ability to design and implement an end to end Performance Management process which improves on existing practices to better predict impacts to performance and capacity as applications and changes are added or updated on systems through a pipeline process;
· Provide analysis and reporting for z/VM operating systems performance including CPU, memory, system paging, etc. and make recommendations for optimization of resources;
· Evaluate performance and usage trends by application and system;
· Recommendations of actions to be taken and ability to performing tuning actions for systems and applications resulting in optimum performance;
· Collect application projections and changes to application performance expectations to determine future performance and capacity needs;
· Develop expertise in the use of the performance management tools for z/VM environments running Linux (WAS, DB2 & MQ as well as the z Architecture (DASD, LPAR, channels, tapes, IPL process, etc.);
· Extensive experience with providing performance and tuning using monitoring tools (f. ex. z/VM Performance Monitor, Velocity and other tools);
· Ability to assess system resource requirements and project system impacts;
· Works independently to achieve day-to-day objectives with significant impact on operational results for performance deliverables; and,
· Works with other support teams including application software, OS, PMs, customers, and guest VM administrators.
Evaluates and develops technical solutions that require collaboration with internal experts, deep analyses and understanding of performance impacts on end-products/solutions.
Proactively design and develops z/VM performance solutions.
Provides ongoing proactive performance monitoring and tuning for all z/VM environments.
Requires excellent communications skills, both oral and written to communicate with internal and client project team members and management.
Works to design solutions and influence team members regarding solution design, process and/or approaches. May communicate with parties external to the organization (e.g., sub-contractors, vendors, etc.);
BA/BS or equivalent experience and 12-15 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 10-13 years of prior relevant experience. Experience may be substituted in lieu of degree.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.