Solutions Architect (NCI)
The National Cancer Institute is moving cancer data and analytics to the cloud and we have the immediate need for an articulate, energetic and focused cloud architect to help develop tools and systems used by cancer researchers, cancer patients and their families and friends.
This position will be part of a high-performing team focused on successfully delivering cloud-based software projects in support of NCI’s Cancer Research Data Commons (CRDC). The CRDC represents a fundamental shift in how cancer data is aggregated and analyzed and this project will create an environment where cancer researchers will be able to quickly find both primary data of interest and any relevant secondary data and then compute on that data at scale. This is a complex program with multiple projects and project teams, and involves cross NIH communication.
You will become a team member at the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research (FNLCR), managed by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. on behalf of the National Cancer Institute (NCI). It is the only U.S. national laboratory wholly focused on research, technology, and collaboration in the biomedical sciences – working to discover, to innovate, and to improve human health.
- Will be part of a high performing team involved in defining the overall architecture for the CRDC
- Will provide subject matter expertise across many teams and Institutes
- Will provide independent advice on architecture designs proposed by contractors or other 3rd parties
- Will develop architectural design artifacts
- Will facilitate communication through all levels of staff by functioning as a liaison between internal departments, senior management, and external groups (including the NCI)
- Will have detailed strategic and tactical knowledge of the projects at all times
- Will be responsible for ensuring all relevant project documents are kept up-to-date with architecture specific meeting notes and action items
- Will be responsible for communicating/documenting architecture based risks
- Will work closely with the various project managers to drive the success of the program
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Bioinformatics or equivalent from an accredited college or university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education). Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- In addition to educational requirement, a minimum of six (6) years of progressively responsible job related experience including two (2) years of experience in a leadership capacity.
- Hands on experience with architecting solutions in one or more of AWS, Google and Azure.
- The candidate must have knowledge and experience building distributed system following best practices and design patterns.
- Strong communications skills and demonstrated leadership responsibility for a team
- Experience in Agile and DevOps methodologies especially as they are used in cloud-based systems.
- Strong understanding of databases and how to model data including working with RDS and NoSQL databases
- Solid understanding of OS and networking fundamentals
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Experience in deploying systems that are subject to regulatory requirements, preferably in the biomedical domain
- Architectural certifications from one or more of the commercial cloud providers is a plus.
- Demonstration of leadership experience
- The candidate must have knowledge and experience building distributed systems following best practices and design patterns
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.