Jr. Transportation Engineer
The Leidos Surface Transportation Portfolio is seeking a Junior Transportation Engineer to provide support for contracts with the U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT), State Departments of Transportation (DOTs), and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
The Junior Transportation Engineer will support work in the ground transportation areas of Operations, Safety, Connected Vehicles, Freight, and Access Management. This position requires the candidate to have excelled at coursework related to one of these areas, and an interest in two or more additional areas. The candidate will be responsible for assisting more senior staff and/or performing functional duties with oversight. Under supervision, the candidate will perform work that is varied and may be challenging.
Most work involves developing and advancing Federal transportation programs to support State and local government agencies reduce congestion, improve safety, and support efficient freight movement through the network. Many projects will support local, state, regional and/or national government initiatives that aim to influence and change agency or engineering practices and/or public behavior.
It is preferred that the candidate report to the Leidos office in Reston, VA. Teleworking may be an option and will be considered on a case by case basis. This full-time position may require some travel to project sites (within the U.S.).
Work may include, but not be limited to:
• Research on transportation topics
• Data collection and analysis
• Geographic information system development and mapping
• Report preparation and technical writing
• Meeting preparation, attendance, and documentation, including supporting web-conferences and webinars
Ideally the candidate has between 0 and 2 years of transportation engineering experience in a similar transportation or consulting environment. Experience gained through internships, research positions, or other non-curriculum required projects is a plus. Candidates with differing amounts of experience should still apply and will be considered.
REQUIRED EDUCATION/SKILLS: Bachelors’ degree in an engineering discipline. A focus in Transportation is a plus. Candidate must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and must be fluent with Microsoft Office tools and programs.
• Experience using geographic information system and developing multilayered maps.
• Experience reading and writing Excel’s VBA language.
• Experience using Microsoft Access. Experience reading and writing Microsoft Access’ VBA language, is a plus.
• College coursework or experience in Transportation Engineering, Statistical Data Analysis, Technical Writing, and/or Database Development.
• Experience performing data analysis on transportation data (e.g., crash data, travel times, speeds, etc.)
• Geospatial positioning, aerial photo, or artificial intelligence experience.
• Enjoys challenges associated with learning new topics.
• Highly proactive, self-motivated, and has strong time management skills.
• Detail-oriented, highly organized, and strong ability to multi-task.
• Ability to think analytically, and apply general concepts to other applicable topics.
• Ability to identify and implement creative solutions.
• Ability to flourish within a dynamic, fun team environment as well as work independently.
• Flexible and comfortable with changing direction and competing priorities.
• Seeks constant improvement through self-identifying opportunities and peer feedback.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.