Laboratory Animal Technician (NCI)
The Laboratory Animal Sciences Program (LASP) provides exceptional quality animal care and technical support services for animal research performed at the National Cancer Institute at the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research. LASP executes this mission by providing a broad spectrum of state-of-the-art technologies and services that are focused on the design, generation, characterization and application of genetically engineered and biological animal models of human disease, which are aimed at the development of targeted diagnostics and therapies. LASP contributes to advancing human health, developing new treatments, and improving existing treatments for cancer and other diseases while ensuring safe and humane treatment of animals.
The Laboratory Animal Technician is responsible for the daily care of research animals for experimental purposes in germ-free/gnotobiotic isolators and includes:
- Operation and maintenance of flexible film isolators
- Husbandry of rodents housed in flexible film isolators and conventional cages
- Rodent colony management tasks such as breeder setup, weaning, tagging, tailing
- Performance of technical procedures, such as the administration of experimental compounds via various routes, including handling and performing work with hazardous chemical, biological or radiological materials
- Animal health monitoring and recording of phenotypic changes, tumor measurements and treatment responses
- Collection of blood, tissues and diagnostic samples.
- Work may involve the use of potentially hazardous radiological, chemical, and biological materials. This is a change in facility.
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of a High School Diploma, or equivalent
- Any combination of education and progressively responsible technical experience which qualifies the candidate to sit for the LAT Certification Exam within 12 months of hire –or- Associate degree in Life Sciences or Veterinary Technology. Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency. Will encourage achievement of LAT Certification; however, this is not a requirement.
- Experience in animal husbandry tasks
- Experience in colony management associated tasks
- Ability to work in a team and communicate with management in a demanding scientific environment
- Ability to keep detailed and accurate computer records and maintain/update data in computer-based applications/databases
- Knowledge of Standard Operating Procedures for animal facilities and the basic requirements for maintaining laboratory animals and performing scientific procedures involving animal testing and data collection
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. and to wear respiratory protection equipment if necessary
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Excellent observation and organization skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- ALAT certification
- Computer/data entry skills
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.