Mid-Tier RedHat System Administrator – LINUX
The Civil Health Operation is seeking a Mid-Tier RedHat System Administrator – LINUX in Bethesda, MD
• Provides technical support and hardware and software expertise for the CIT Unix Hosting team to ensure that they operate accurately and efficiently in response to user requirements. It shall include such diverse tasks as installing applications, diagnosing and resolving system problems, testing software, and documenting operating procedures.
• Assists with installation, upgrade, and maintenance, as needed, of applications (identified by the government) both freeware and vendor supplied.
• Provides RedHat Linux and Unix systems support in an enterprise production 24x7 environment, with rotating on-call duties. This includes work on nights and weekends to provide operations support and accommodate customer needs for off-hours maintenance completion.
• Records the problem symptoms (government provided pre-defined log).
• Provides resolutions for hardware and software problems.
• Analyzes root causes.
• Refers other problems (e.g. networking) to the appropriate organizations.
• Coordinates/schedules remedial actions (e.g. disk swapping, backups, maintenance fixes, etc.) with vendor and/or operations personnel.
• Tracks status of all problems within the Linux hosting environment, through resolution.
• Documents special procedures required for continuous operations of systems.
• Reviews monitoring logs for problem identification and suggests resolutions.
• Maintains statistical information to help track persistent problems using pre-defined log.
• Installs and configures new hardware components for operations in a Data Center networked environment.
• Installs patches.
• Builds new Red Hat Linux Systems. Knowledge of building new Solaris and/or HP-UX systems is a plus.
• Interfaces with customers as necessary to support their operational environment.
• Schedules vendor maintenance and services activities
• Assists with testing of software operations and Operating System upgrades.
• Plans, conducts, and reports tests with appropriate government staff.
• Documents security procedures, on an as needed basis, according to security policy and guidelines.
• Monitors/reports on unauthorized access attempts.
• Monitors security logs to determine security problems.
• Remediates identified security vulnerabilities.
• Tracks system utilization, daily, to determine if problems are imminent.
• Monitor and provide daily reports on system performance to pinpoint performance bottlenecks.
• Provides technical input to evaluation of alternative methods.
• Assists with documentation of procedures.
• Develops and maintains detailed and accurate documentation as requested by the Service Manager, team lead and/or CTR. Documentation may be required for operational procedures, troubleshooting aids, and technical analyses for products, features, and capabilities.
• Ensures all changes are logged through the use of listserv archive lists, and division, branch, and team change management procedures.
• Uses CIT and HSS service management tools, which include Service Now for work request ticket management to respond to and document work efforts requested by customers.
• Required experience and skills include but are not limited to Red Hat Linux 6.0, LVM for RedHat, KickStart, Puppet, YUM, Satellite and repository configuration, patch and software installs.
• Experience with Solaris 10, Solaris 11, HPUX 11i, ZFS, Live Upgrade, Java, Apache, and Oracle Ops Center is a plus.
• At least three years of experience as a computer professional maintaining, configuring, installing, and supporting Red Hat Linux servers and resources.
• Ability to analyze information requirements.
• Ability to coordinate closely with system DBAs or customers to ensure proper implementation of program and system specifications.
• Ability to evaluate problems analytically and systematically and develop appropriate corrective action.
• Ability to work cooperatively and to function well in a team environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skill to be able to ascertain user requirements and prepare documentation.
• Excellent customer interface skills.
A bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, MIS or related subject, or 5 years of relevant, related work experience. Required 3+ year experience scripting (perl, KSH, CSH, python)
Certain kinds of experience may be used in lieu of education.
In order to substitute experience for educational requirements, the experience must be recognized as sufficiently technical or specialized to achieve the knowledge and skills needed.
Position requires US Citizen or US Person (Green Card Holder with the ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.