Mid-Tier Veritas/Oracle System Administrator – Solaris
The Civil Health Operation is seeking a Mid-Tier Veritas/Oracle System Administrator – Solaris in Bethesda, MD.
• Assists with system administration and performance tuning of all Sun systems, peripherals, products, and technologies supported by the HSS. Primary focus will be on assisting with specific customers as designated by the HSS management. Make recommendations and provide reports as requested, focusing on enterprise customers as designated by HSS. Activities may include:
o Installation and configuration of new clustered environments
o Tuning recommendations for the Oracle/Sun servers
o Tuning recommendations for the Oracle database
o Tuning recommendations for the applications
o Efficiency recommendations for the Veritas filesystem performance
o Efficiency and tuning recommendations for Veritas Clusters
o Operating System patching; recommendations for procedural changes, evaluation of patch sets and processes
o Veritas Volume Manager patching
o Veritas Cluster patching
o Storage administration tasks such as disk space additions to filesystems, migrating data among storage devices,
o System administration tasks such as installation of non-standard software, setting up user privileged access after evaluating potential impact.
• Assists in building custom servers such as M5000, T5-4; assist with management of Oracle Ops Center server
• Assists the CIT technical team with systems analysis, system and application maintenance, capacity planning, and diagnostics, making recommendations and providing reports. Activities may include:
o Operating systems and network troubleshooting and problem reports, especially problems that would be considered advanced or non-routine problems.
o Troubleshoot hardware and software issues, especially non-routine issues, provide recommendations for fix. Work with vendor as needed to find solutions.
o Performance Analysis, troubleshooting, and problem reports
o Provide Capacity Planning Analysis and Reports
o Patch management and firmware evaluation, recommendations and reports, assist and advice in creation of standardized build templates
o Management tool recommendation and evaluation (i.e. Oracle Automatic Service Request, Sun Solaris Tools Bundle, Jumpstart Enterprise Toolkit)
o Provide assistance with scripts (writing, troubleshooting) to accomplish system administration tasks as needed
• Assists with the configuration and testing of additional inter-domain networking and alternate path and/or dynamic reconfiguration. Activities may include:
o Configure and test any inter-domain networking
o Configure and test alternate pathing and/or dynamic reconfiguration
o Compilation and documentation of inter-domain networking, alternate pathing and/or dynamic reconfiguration activities in an operational guide.
• Provides expertise to address customer directed architectural and process initiatives. Activities may include:
o Assist with the planning, evaluation and implementation of enterprise systems re-architecture/system refresh.
o Evaluate and recommend new environment architecture including cluster redesign, virtualization options, filesystem design.
o Assist with the design and configuration of Veritas and Oracle/Sun filesystems to meet CIT's application data storage requirements present within the SAN environment.
o Address backup architecture and the use of technologies such as clones, snaps, and so forth, specifically Veritas FlashSNAP technology
o Assist with planning and implementation of other enterprise application deployments.
o Assist with the planning and evaluation of hardware enhancements and recommendations for potential architecture updates.
o Assist with planning and evaluation of hardware migration; develop processes for migration that provide minimal downtime to HSS customers
o Assist with customer server performance issues, serve as liaison between customer and vendors such as Oracle and Veritas
o Serve as lead technical liaison in technical meetings with enterprise customers.
o Assist enterprise customers with their implementation and environment when feasible; provide advice and help troubleshooting such things as Oracle Cluster Ready Services and Oracle RAC environments.
• Provides mentoring and knowledge transfer to the CIT Staff as related to the environment supporting the NBS project. Activities may include:
o Compilation, documentation, and knowledge transfer of cluster failover, recovery, and troubleshooting in an operational guide.
• Develops and maintains detailed and accurate documentation as requested by the Service Manager, team lead and/or CTR. Documentation may be required for operational procedures, troubleshooting aids, and technical analyses for products, features, and capabilities.
• Ensures all changes are logged through the use of listserv archive lists, and division, branch, and team change management procedures.
• Uses CIT and HSS service management tools, which include Service Now for work request ticket management to respond to and document work efforts requested by customers.
• Excellent project management skills in order to plan for upgrades to the cluster environment.
• Excellent problem management and troubleshooting skills.
• Required scripting ability (BASH, Python, PERL, KSH .etc.)
• Ability to work cooperatively and to function well in a team environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skill to be able to ascertain user requirements and prepare documentation.
• Excellent customer interface skills. Demonstrated ability to deal with customers in a challenging environment.
• Ability to support clustered systems in an enterprise production 24x7 environment
A bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, MIS or related subject or 7 years of related work experience, At least 3 years of experience as a computer professional configuring, installing, and supporting Unix servers, Solaris operating system and managing system resources.
• At least 3 years of experience with configuring, installing, updating and supporting (Veritas) Cluster software in Unix environments.
• At least 3 years of experience with configuring, testing, evaluating network needed to support cluster configurations.
• At least 3 years of experience with configuring, installing, updating and supporting Veritas Volume Manager including snapshot features.
• At least 3 years of experience with enterprise level Oracle/Sun hardware.
• At least 3 years evaluating and deploying software tools in an enterprise production server environment.
• At least 3 years of experience in cluster system design and ability to provide system architecture advice.
Certain kinds of experience may be used in lieu of education. In order to substitute experience for educational requirements, the experience must be recognized as sufficiently technical or specialized to achieve the knowledge and skills needed.
Positions require US Citizen or US Person (Green Card Holder with the ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.