Statistical Editor/Writer (Criminal Justice)
Leidos is looking for a Statistical Writer/Editor to join our team in Gaithersburg, MD. The writer/editor will write and edit statistical materials for a variety of documents for the Bureau of Justice Statistics (a division of the Office of Justice Programs), including publications, web site content, solicitations, correspondence, and press releases.
1. The ability to write or edit a range of technical materials, such as reports on research findings, scientific or technical articles, news releases, periodicals, technical regulations, manuals, brochures, pamphlets, and speeches or scripts on scientific or technical subjects.
3. A comprehensive knowledge of English syntax and composition, including grammar, punctuation, spelling, sentence structure, and word use, and format standards for footnotes and bibliographies.
4. The ability to use plain language to describe scientific findings that are written by BJS staff or in other peer-reviewed academic journals because the methods and implications of the findings must be conveyed to executive-level leaders who have no science background.
5. The ability to edit material for clarity, coherence, and rational development of ideas, tailoring it to meet the information needs of the intended audience.
7. Knowledge of publication policies, processing procedures, regulations, practices, and guidelines observed by BJS, OJP, DOJ, and the Government Printing Office,
8. Thorough knowledge of differences in styles appropriate for formal reports, press releases, and program descriptions, and for various readerships; ability to distinguish among GPO, newspaper, and scholarly journal styles.
10. Knowledge of statistical methodology as a basis for editing statistical reports so that they are both understandable to laymen and acceptable to statisticians.
13. Knowledge of how to describe ideas clearly to authors, statisticians, and program managers during the planning, editing, and production processes.
14. Ability to present analytical findings of data for print and electronic media, particularly presentation of graphical and web-based material.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s Degree plus at least five (5) years of directly relevant work experience (writing and editing publications and various documents).
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.