Consulting Technical Writer / Editing Specialist
The Leidos Surface Transportation Solutions Portfolio is seeking an on-call Editing Specialist to provide as-needed support for proposal development in response to requests for proposals (RFP) received from the U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT), State Departments of Transportation (DOTs), and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Note: This is a part time Consulting role that will allow the selected candidate to work remotely (telecommute) from home.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Editing Specialist primarily will provide support to Leidos technical staff in the development of task order proposal responses for Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) contracts. This position requires flexibility to provide surge support when proposal demands are high, typically during spring, summer, and early fall (March through September).
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Working with proposal managers to establish win themes and technical and staffing approaches for each proposal response.
• Using available resources and coordinating with technical staff to develop initial draft proposal responses.
• Participating in internal reviews and assisting proposal managers with preparation of final proposal responses.
• Reviewing documents to ensure they meet editorial and government specifications and adhere to FHWA standards and RFP requirements for quality, graphics, format, and style.
The successful candidate must have at least 4 years of experience editing technical documents, preferably those in the surface transportation, civil engineering, or public policy domain. The successful candidate also must have experience with the proposal development process as it relates to Federal Government contracts.
REQUIRED EDUCATION/SKILLS: Bachelors’ degree in Communications, Marketing, Business, English, or Public Policy as well as the following skills:
• Ability to analyze proposed approach for logic and consistency with RFP requirements.
• Ability to take high level, technical content from technical experts and develop content that aligns with proposal team’s vision.
• Excellent written communication skills.
• Highly proficient in grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
• Familiarity with the GPO Style Manual.
• Fluency in all standard Microsoft Office tools and programs.
• Ability to perform well under the pressure of multiple competing deadlines.
• Enjoys challenges associated with learning new topics.
• Highly proactive, self-motivated, and has sharp self-time management.
• Detail-oriented, highly organized, and has a strong ability to multi-task and prioritize.
• Ability to think analytically and apply general concepts to other applicable topics.
• Ability to identify and implement creative solutions.
• Ability to flourish within a dynamic, fun team environment as well as work independently.
• Flexible and comfortable with changing direction and competing priorities.
• Seeks constant improvement through self-identifying opportunities and peer feedback.
• Knowledge of U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration programs.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.