Metabolomics Research Scientist
The threat of chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) agents pose serious challenges to homeland security as well as to military operations worldwide. Leidos is seeking a metabolomics research scientist to support our customer, the Edgewood Chemical Biological Center (ECBC) Research and Technology Directorate (R&T) Biodefense Branch in basic and applied CBRN research efforts. Responsibilities and duties will include the development and application of novel state of the art pipelines for performing untargeted metabolomics, including sample preparation. These techniques will include the generation of custom high resolution metabolomics databases, both in positive mode and negative mode, which are matched with accurate liquid chromatography retention times. The successful candidate will work along with a team of highly specialized subject matter experts in order to accomplish ECBC research objectives.
• Functions as a team member with other scientists in supporting basic and applied chemical and biological research efforts for Gov’t sponsored projects
• Performs work independently with minimal oversight
• Performs untargeted metabolomics
• Performs work effort in support of BSL-1, BSL-2, and potentially BSL-3 facilities
• Executes standing operating procedures and performs work activities in a safe manner
• Performs work with toxic materials which includes bio-threat agents.
• Reports to on-site Leidos team lead and represents Leidos as prime contractor for the Edgewood Chemical and Biological Center
• Performs other duties assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Typically requires BS and 4 – 8 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2 – 6 years of prior relevant experience. EFFECTIVE DATE: 01/02/2016
• Masters with 6 years of prior experience or a Ph.D. in chemistry, biology, microbiology, biochemistry or related field of study with demonstrated metabolomics experience.
• Demonstrated capability and 2-4 years’ experience in applying software suites to large metabolomics datasets such as MetaboAnalyst and Compound Discoverer (Thermo Fisher Scientific)
• High familiarity with databases and software developed and sold by IROA Technologies
• Ability to wear personal protective equipment.
• Strong organizational, communication, and writing skills.
• Capability to learn new techniques.
• Ability to obtain a Secret clearance.
• U.S. citizenship.
• Proficient in problem solving.
• Current Secret Clearance.
• Experience working in a U.S. military research center performing Gov’t sponsored research projects.
• Demonstrated ability to work with hazardous materials, such as chemical and/or biological agents
• Strong computer skills.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.