Cryo-Electron Microscopist (NCI)
The Cancer Research Technology Program (CRTP) develops and implements emerging technology, cancer biology expertise and research capabilities to accomplish National Cancer Institute (NCI) research objectives. The CRTP is an outward-facing, multi-disciplinary hub purposed to enable the external cancer research community.
The National Cancer Institute has established the National Cryo-EM Facility, a national cancer research community-accessible cryo-EM user facility that is managed and operated by CRTP/FNLCR. The facility provides access to Titan Krios electron microscopes at no cost to researchers within the extramural academic community. The decision about suitability of projects for data collection is made on a first-come, first-served basis by NCEF staff, and is based solely on the quality of the screening images provided. Users must also provide a couple of sentences summarizing the general relevance of their project to basic or applied cancer research.
The facility is currently expanding from one to two fully equipped Titan Krios microscopes, equipped with phase plates, as well as pre-GIF Falcon 3EC and post-GIF K2-Summit direct electron detectors. The new Krios microscope will be installed beginning July 2018 and we are seeking to add a trained cryo-EM specialist to the staff.
The cryo-electron microscopist will:
- Independently image samples on the FEI Titan Krios with direct detectors
- Interact with users to ensure the setup of data collections is according to project needs
- Develop workflows for efficient and high end data collection
- Image samples on the Titan Krios with phase plate and direct detectors
- Service and maintain Titan Krios microscopes at highest performance levels
- Provide scientific and technical advice to investigators on sample preparation, experimental design, data analysis
- Provide guidance on new scientific directions that could have an impact on improving services provided by the facility
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of a PhD degree from an accredited college or university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education). Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- Two (2) years of hand-on experience in cryo-EM and transmission electron microscopy
- Strong laboratory skills
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Direct experience with electron optics and all aspects of electron microscope operation
- Experience with cryo-EM specimen preparation techniques
- Knowledge of computational aspects of Cryo-EM
- Five (5) years of hand-on experience in cryo-EM and transmission electron microscopy
- Hands on experience with FEI Titan Krios microscope
- Must be detail-oriented and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to prepare detailed, concise technical reports, including assisting with publications
- Able to work dynamically in a diverse team environment
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.