Software Engineer (COBOL)
We are seeking a talented Software Engineer with excellent communication skills to support a highly available, critical system. Provide programming support with a minimum of supervision in an environment where a COBOL/RPG/SQL system is transitioning to a web-based environment. Responsibilities include design, coding, and testing along with proper documentation. Must be able to perform in an open communication, information-sharing team environment.
• Design, code, test, document, debug and maintain stable programs in a COBOL/RPG/SQL environment
• Provide higher level troubleshooting to support and system administration staff, both in the implementation of new systems, and the troubleshooting or upgrading of existing systems.
• Constantly evaluate current processes and procedures, providing recommendations where appropriate to improve the IT posture.
• Design, update, and modify/maintain server documentation.
• Provide feedback and input into the definition of the software & database architecture for new solutions; produce practical software and database designs that meet both business and technical requirements.
• Development and maintenance of architecture products that capture enterprise and system level capabilities, requirements, and standards using DoD Architecture Framework (DODAF) processes
• Discrepancy report (DIREP) process support: analyze, troubleshoot, and modify software to address issues discovered by stakeholders, logistics analysts, or fellow software application engineers; address any issues discovered via a thorough test of the modified code.
• Participate in Design Reviews, estimating, release planning and demonstrations
• Gather project requests from stakeholders, as well as analyze and validate requirements; creates design analysis documentation, evaluates and incorporates approved changes to the design analysis as needed, makes project team members aware of design analysis details, and assists program manager in obtaining their commitment.
• Troubleshoot potential program errors in a testing system with the help of Subject Matter Experts (SMEs)
• Create ad hoc queries in RPG or SQL and provide products from the IBM box to customers in a variety of forms of media using File Transfer Protocols (FTP)
• Applicant will document work performed in sufficient detail to allow collaboration with other Software Engineers and System Administrators
• Individual must be able to work both independently and as part of rapid-response project-based teams
• Sense of urgency and customer service oriented attitude are a must
Referral Bonus Eligible
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelor’s degree and two years related experience, or High School and eight years related experience.
Candidate must possess knowledge and experience in COBOL and SQL, as well as Application Development experience working within a configuration controlled environment.
ADDITIONAL DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.